Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Collin McLoughlin: Chasing Dreams + (Video)


Chasing Dreams is a bonus track from Collin's new EP "Stark Perspective." Definitely check it out itunes on Nov.1.

 This is what you can expect from Collins upcoming EP.
About a year ago I was introduced to house music for the first time, and I fell in love with the infectious rhythms and strong melodies of the genre. I subsequently spent several months trying to pursue that style of music as a vocalist, largely due to the fact that I truly loved the genre and thought it worked well for a live atmosphere.
Because of the largely synthetic and electronic elements of house music production and recording I began to ignore the instrument which got me involved in music in the first place: guitar. Ever since high school I had played guitar, starting out covering my favorite artists and eventually writing my own songs and mashups by the end of high school. The guitar was missing, and as time passed I could ignore it no longer.
This past spring I heard Swedish House Mafia’s newest single, “Save the World,” for the first time. I was immediately drawn to the track, and decided to do an acoustic rendition of the EDM anthem. With help from my good friend and extremely talented producer Garrington Spence I began to dabble with production, helping to tweak the arrangement Garrington and I had come up with for my acoustic cover.
Seeing the success of this cover, and the additional enjoyment I received out of helping produce the track gave me the drive and ambition I needed to begin producing music on my own. I had relied for so long on other producers for instrumentals for my work, and I had finally decided it was time for me to learn to make my own productions tailored for my voice and my style.
After spending countless hours messing around with production I had the idea to incorporate my two favorite genres together into what I saw as an innovative sound, combining the elements which I felt drove the success of my covers (acoustic) and the synth driven sounds of electronic dance music. I spent the summer learning the basics of production, in an attempt to create the best arrangements surrounding the acoustic driven songs I had created.
Countless hours of writing, tweaking, and recording had led to the creation of Stark Perspective, a 4 song EP (with an additional bonus track) in this electronic / acoustic blended genre. All tracks on the EP are written, recorded, and produced entirely by me in my apartment, and I am excited to share it with you all.
Stark Perspective serves as a blend of up tempo tracks and slower acoustic ballads, but all focusing on the stark perspective of how I see the world and its inhabitants. The songs involve a wide range of lyrical content, from songs about relationships to tracks surrounding the uncertainty of being a young adult. I am extremely excited to share it with you all, and I wanted to thank you all for supporting me on iTunes and purchasing the EP when it is released on November 1.
Thanks again for helping spread the word about my music, you all keep me working and doing what I love

No comments:

Post a Comment